Sunday, June 12, 2011

Good News, Bad News

Last night, something happened to me that has not happened for a very long time.
I was just getting off work, and a couple of nice looking girls were looking for a local pub.  They were both nice looking girls, but I'd like to note that one of them was particularly good looking to me.  I happened to be going in the same direction, so I helped them out a little with finding the right street, and started a conversation with them.  You read that right, I actually talked to women, people.  As the conversation went on, they invited me to join them for a drink.  So, in my infinite wisdom, I made lame excuses, saying that I was tired (partially true) and I don't really go to bars anyway.  Once we got up near my place, we parted ways, although I told them I might change my mind and join them later.
By this point I was questioning my decision pretty strongly, so I hopped on to 20sb chat, and got a bit of a pep talk from a friend.  I'm glad someone was there, otherwise what happened next probably wouldn't have even happened.
My friend eventually helped me to destroy my traitorous nerves, and get back out there, so that's what I did.  Sadly, by the time I walked over to the pub, they were long gone.  I walked back home, grumbling to myself and cursing my indecisiveness, and then attempted to console myself with more 20sb chat and chocolate milk.

BUT...

I think there was some benefit to all of this.
First of all, I realized just how easy and uncomplicated it is to talk to girls.  All you need to do is talk.  That's it!  If they like you (and I'm pretty sure these girls did, or at least they were starting to) you can talk about whatever you want with them, and they'll listen.  When people tell you to be yourself, they're right.  Your personality is all you really need, and always there, no matter what you say.
Second, I realized that I do have the power to go out and do things, even if it is right after work.  Now that I have my own place, I really don't have to be home by a certain time of night, or call if I'm going to be late.  I don't have to answer to my parents anymore (not that I resent them or anything), and it's something I'm still getting used to.
So, even though things didn't work out very well for yours truly, I think I took a good step on the road to being social last night.  And just maybe, if I get really lucky, those girls will be back at my work looking for me again one day.  And if that happens, you can bet I'll join them that night!

P.S.  I'd just like to note that this blog has now received over 1000 page views!  Thank you everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Way to go! I liked this post, I strongly believe that personality is all we have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just going to sit here and smile to myself.

    Proud of you Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Women do talk a lot. At first it might seem interesting to you.. I hope you don't get annoyed in the long run.haha ;-)
    And that's right - just be yourself! Don't try to be somebody you're not just to impress. :D

    ReplyDelete