Monday, September 5, 2011

Miss Katana - or - The Girl Who Never Was

It's been a while since I last posted, so I've decided to share yet another awkward tale of the past with you.

This one goes back to high school, and concerns a girl who will be known here as Miss Katana.  She was a part of a small circle of friends I occasionally hung out with.  At the time, I may have had a little bit of a thing for her, since she was cute, and had a fair amount of geek cred.  She was also a bit weird, but more on that in a moment.
After some time hanging out together, Miss Katana started getting flirty with me.  (disclaimer: my memory may not be 100% on this, so some of this might be idealized a little bit)  This included subtly rude suggestions, (and possibly even obvious ones because we were young and could say just about anything) coy looks, and on at least one occasion, she kind of sat in my lap and gave me little love bites on my neck.  (she liked to act like a cat once in a while...like I said, she was a touch weird)  For my part, I think I flirted back at least a little bit, in my own awkward way.  For the most part, I just sat back and enjoyed it.
Because of all this rampant flirting, I think people suspected we were dating.  After taking some time to figure out how to ask her, I decided I might as well ask Miss Katana out officially.  This was when things got confusing.  I don't know if I waited too long or what, but she told me that she wasn't interested in me that way.  After that, the flirting basically stopped, and I eventually drifted away to hang with another group of friends.  It wasn't out of dislike so much as it was confusion about the situation.
Once in a while I wonder what her motives were if she wasn't honestly interested in me, but I guess it's really of little consequence since it was so long ago.  Miss Katana is married with a couple of kids these days, and it seems that she's happy with her situation, but sometimes a little frustrated by the kids.
Even today, I'm not quite sure what to make of what happened between Miss Katana and me.  I guess it's just another one of those awkward stories that make up my life.

P.S.  I just noticed that My Life Alone has now received over 2000 page views!  Thanks for all your support everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I do love a girl who has some geek cred. Call me weird, but geekiness is seriously attractive haha.

    I think some women just like the chase, the thrill of the hunt...hell, some guys too. We all love a little flirting. But sometimes flirting is the only thing a person is interested in. For someone such as yourself, a person with much different goals in mind, you can do so much better anyway.

    Miss Katana? Thumbs up to the name. Very original.

    ~SP

    ReplyDelete