When I was younger, I never really understood Superman. His 'boy scout' personality never really stood up to the dark mystery of Batman for me. As I got older though, I realized it was that quality that makes Superman such a great character. He's completely selfless in his life as a superhero, and goes to the ultimate lengths to make sure everyone's safe. He wasn't even born on the same planet, but he literally died to save Earth!! Sure, he did come back after a while, and yes, some others have made similar sacrifices, but he was the first.
Another great thing about Superman is his relationship with Lois Lane. Sadly, this is no longer a thing because of 'the new 52', but I'll save my rant about that for another time. Anyway, the relationship between Supes and Lois is one of the best love stories ever told in comics. I'll even go as far as to say that it's equal or perhaps better than Spider-Man and Mary Jane. Consider this: Lois Lane isn't even the same species, but Superman still loves her with everything he's got. They even had the first superhero wedding in comics. That, my friends, is what you call a real man. (or Kryptonian, if you want to be accurate about it)
Finally, one of the best things about Superman is how well he works with Batman. Sure, Superman has a buttload of powers, and could, in theory, do everything himself, but he knows that he's only one guy, so he teams up with Batman. Think about that choice for a moment: Superman is the team leader; the guy everyone looks to for guidance in the superhero world. He could have his pick of any teammate he wants, any power set there is, and he chooses Batman, a guy with no powers at all. Why? Because Batman is damn smart, and can take on anybody in a fight. He has the perfect set of tools, physical and mental, that Supes doesn't. They also trust each other on a level few other heroes do, to the point that they know each other's secret identities. All of this is why they call them the World's Finest. And kryptonite doesn't affect humans, so there's also that.




Superhero romances - how sweet :) Thanks for agreeing to do my challenge.
ReplyDeleteCrud I forgot one important thing: in the movie, he flew around the world backwards (possibly reversing time) to save Lois's life. Once again, a standup guy if there ever was one.
ReplyDelete